Did you know that exercise can slow down the aging process?
One of the ways that you can stay physically active is to get involved in a SilverSneakers program in your area.
Let’s take a look at what the program is and how it can help you.
What’s SilverSneakers all about?
It’s a fitness program that’s specifically designed to encourage older adults to maintain their health through a wide range of fitness activities.
Social activities are also a part of the program, which is a huge benefit for mental wellness, too.
You can join SilverSneakers by obtaining a membership that can be used at any of the 11,000+ fitness centers that participate.
What are the benefits of staying fit?
Fitness is important at any age, but it’s especially critical as you reach retirement age and beyond.
Here are some of the biggest advantages of physical activity:
- Maintain independence for a longer period of time. For example, regular exercise reduces the risk of falls and broken bones and other injuries that can result.
- Lower risk of early death. Staying active reduces your chances of coronary disease, developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- Reduce blood pressure. This applies to those who already have a diagnosis of hypertension.
- Improve strength and stamina. You could improve recovery time from illness or injury.
- Improve mental health. Exercise is a natural mood booster and it can help with the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Helps with joint issues. Joint pain and swelling are common with ailments like arthritis.
Any of the activities that you choose to do with SilverSneakers will help you to stay in shape and improve your chances of enjoying these benefits for years to come.
What’s special about SilverSneakers?
You obviously don’t have to be a member of SilverSneakers to stay physically fit, but it’s a whole lot more fun!
- Not only can you take part in any of the amenities provided by the fitness facility, but you can also take SilverSneakers classes like yoga, tai chi, Latin dance, and much more.
- The social aspect of SilverSneakers is a great benefit. It’s a community that encourages and motivates each other to stay on track and work together toward maintaining wellness.
What’s included with a membership?
The membership allows you to enjoy the services offered by any of the participating fitness centers, plus some extra perks.
- Program advisors help you to understand all you need to know about the facilities and the benefits they provide.
Online help in the form of HealthwaysFIT.com, a resource that allows you to monitor your progress, keep up with health-related current events, have access to healthy recipes and even watch exercise videos.
- Access to special events and seminars that are related to health, fitness, and overall wellness.
- A program for those who don’t live close to a participating facility called SilverSneakers Steps that provides resources like handbooks and pedometers.
What about SilverSneakers and Medicare?
Medicare Parts A and B don’t cover a SilverSneakers membership, but your Medicare Advantage plan or Medicare Supplement may.
If the SilverSneakers program is important to you, talk with your independent insurance provider about plans that offer the membership.
What does it mean for you?
It’s well worth your while to check into your options for SilverSneakers programs in your area.
The physical, mental and social benefits can help to slow your aging progress and lengthen your life.
Have you looked into your options for SilverSneakers in your area?
***Medicare has neither reviewed nor endorsed this information.