Protecting your teeth should always be high on your list of priorities with proper dental coverage, but even more so as you age.
Various factors play into the increasing vulnerability of your pearly whites. Medications can wreak havoc on your teeth and aging brings lessened sensitivity, which means you may not realize there’s a problem until it’s quite advanced. In addition, the health of your mouth has implications in your overall physical well-being.
Understanding there’s a need for good oral hygiene and obtaining the proper dental coverage don’t always go hand-in-hand.
Need help finding the right Medicare coverage? Download this FREE ebook now.
The world of healthcare insurance can be baffling to the average consumer, which is why you’ll want the help of an independent insurance advisor.
Let’s take a look at your options for obtaining dental coverage.
Dental Insurance and Medicare
It’s important to know that dental care isn’t covered by Original Medicare or the Medigap plans.
This means that adults over age 65 have to obtain dental coverage on their own.
There are a couple of options that an insurance advisor can explain to you more fully, but here are the basics:
- Enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan. These plans include dental coverage, as well as vision, and prescription drugs. These benefits are usually bundled together and don’t require additional payments but are included in your Medicare Advantage premium. An important thing to understand about this type of dental insurance is that it typically only covers teeth cleaning, bite-wing x-rays, and general exams.
- Invest in a standalone plan. These plans are obtained through a private insurer and don’t require any kind of coordination through Medicare. While they are usually affordable, they will require you to pay a separate premium.
Choosing the right option for you is important, but the answer isn’t always cut and dried.
When you need some clarity, find an experienced healthcare insurance advisor who can help you figure out which plan will best suit your needs.
Why go with a pro?
Wondering why you can’t just go it alone? There are several reasons that aren’t a great idea.
Here’s why it’s best to stick with a professional healthcare insurance advisor when you’re ready to shop for dental coverage:
- They know their business. An experienced advisor has spent enough time researching what’s out there to have a firm grasp on the ins and outs of different policies and plans. Not only does the health insurance agent know the information, but she also has access to a large number of different providers. It would take you far too long to research the same amount of plans on your own.
- They can help you understand. It’s not enough that the professional that’s working with you understands. You need to understand, as well! Private insurance experts can explain the important details of your policy to you in a way that you’ll comprehend. Always know what you’re getting!
- They can discern your needs. An independent advisor knows what questions to ask in order to figure out just what you require in a plan, without having you pay for more coverage than is necessary.
You don’t have the resources at your fingertips that a professional does. When you attempt to find coverage on your own you risk spending money that you don’t need to and possibly still lacking what you need.
Your dental health is vital to the well-being of the rest of your body.
Since Medicare doesn’t cover your dental needs, you’ll have to go with a Medicare Advantage Plan or a standalone plan.
You can’t go without this important coverage.
Your best bet is to consult with a professional who has a firm grasp on the market and how to find a plan for you.
Have you found dental coverage that suits you? If not, will you be seeking out a professional for guidance?