It only happens once a year. You can change, update or cancel your healthcare benefits FOR ANY REASON during open enrollment. Otherwise, you must qualify for special enrollment.
- Open enrollment. This year, open enrollment takes place from November 1, 2016 to January 31, 2017.
- Special enrollment. Outside of the open enrollment dates, you can make changes only if you experience a qualifying life event, such as:
- You lose coverage through your job.
- You lose Medicaid or CHIP eligibility.
- Your family member lost providing coverage.
- Your household size changes (you get married, adopt a child, or divorce).
- You move your household.